Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Saving Abby by Steena Holmes

All children’s book illustrator Claire Turner ever wanted was to be a mother. After six years of trying to conceive, she and her husband, Josh, have finally accepted that she will never be pregnant with a child of their own.
Yet once they give up hope, the couple gets the miracle they’ve been waiting for. For the first few months of her pregnancy, Claire and Josh are living on cloud nine. But when she begins to experience debilitating headaches, blurred vision, and even fainting spells, the soon-to-be mother goes to the doctor and receives a terrifying diagnosis. Since any treatment could put their unborn baby’s life at risk, the Turners must carefully weigh their limited options. And as her symptoms worsen, Claire will have to make an impossible decision: Save her own life, or save her child’s?

Review: I was given an ARC of Saving Abby from NetGalley for an honest review and this is my review.
Saving Abby is another excellent book by Steena Holmes that takes her reader on an emotional journey that they will not soon forget. I went from laughing to crying while reading this book and felt a number of emotions in between.
As a reader I don't know what I would have done in either main characters shoes. In Josh's case I know I would have been angry the love of my life may die if she did not get the treatment she needed right away. But, I am not sure how I would handle the pregnancy knowing that is what may kill her. Even though we both wanted the baby so badly. Would I resent my wife for keeping the baby and risking her life and blowing up our perfect life for unborn child? Or could I accept her choice and know she may die but at least if all goes well I will have the child we created together when she is gone?
Then there is Claire she finally gets pregnant after being told it will never happen and then she hears oh btw you have stage 3 brain cancer and you can't get treatment because you are expecting. Knowing you gave up one child and how badly you wanted this child an abortion is not an option and this may kill you and your husband resents it you decide to wait and see what happens. Would I choose my unborn baby over my life, maybe?
These are the things these charters are dealing with and it is their emotional journey that you go on. Saving Abby is an emotional ride that will make you laugh and cry. I am giving this book five out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment