Thursday, July 7, 2016

The Goodbyes by Leslie Welch

The girl who inspired his songs may only have hours to live. A snow storm and two hundred miles separate a rock star from his chance to say goodbye. 
The Goodbyes is a moving and realistic account of the strength of an unbreakable bond, the anguish of unrequited feelings, and the wisdom attained through the highs and lows of triumph and tragedy. Told through the unique prose of debut author Leslie Welch, this story aims for the core of our emotions. 
Webb Turner grew up in a seemingly idyllic Pennsylvania town, tortured by a troubled household. His young life is turned upside down by the exciting, magnetic, and wild girl next door, Bree. They keep each other at arm's length their whole lives, however, dancing around the issue of their unresolved feelings while Bree's life steadily spirals out of control. 
In the meantime, Webb's life is on a different trajectory. He escapes the small town to become a globetrotting rock music sensation, with a new romantic interest on his mind and the past left in the rear-view mirror—until he hears that Bree is dying. This shocking news unleashes a torrent of unresolved angst that won't be dammed until Webb drops everything and everybody mid-tour to undertake a dangerous drive through a blizzard to be by Bree's side, just for one last chance to say his final farewell.

 

Review: I was given an ARC of The Goodbyes from NetGalley for an honest review and this is my review.
This book was was excellent. I really enjoyed the book from start to finish.
I can honestly say that I had mixed feelings about the characters in the book. There were times when I really wanted to slap Webb for being Bree's doormat and as for Bree that girl needed to be put in her place because she used her sexuality way to much to get her way and to play with that poor boy's head. I was so annoyed that Webb could not see her for what she really was.
The only problem I had with the book was the end. I was very pleased with how things turned out for Webb (I will not share due to spoilers) but I do wish the author would have given us a bit more then she did but I am greedy like that.
I am giving The Goodbyes five out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment