Friday, June 19, 2015

The Secret Daughter: A beautiful novel of adoption, heartbreak and a mother's love by Kelly Rimmer

As I saw my new-born baby’s face for the first time I tried desperately to capture her face in my mind—to stamp it onto my eyelids. As she was taken from me I knew I might never see my daughter again. 
37 years later…
‘You were adopted’. Three short words and Sabina’s life fractures. There would forever be a Before those words, and an After

Pregnant with her own child, Sabina can’t understand how a mother could abandon her daughter, or why her parents have kept the past a secret. 
Determined to find the woman who gave her away, what she discovers will change everything, not just for Sabina, but for the women who have loved her all these years. 


Review:  I was given a copy of The Secret Daughter for an honest review from NetGalley so this is my review.
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with so much raw emotion that the reader could feel the pain Lilly felt when she realized that she she was really going to have to give up her unborn child and the horrors that she had to go through at that place for unwed mothers was sickening.
Then the Sabina character was such a strong charter in this book. Finding out that you were adopted when you are almost forty and your life has been a lie even your birthday must have been mind boggling and the things that the author had go through her mind really makes one stop and think about how ones life would be different if it was changed in some way how would things be now compared to how they really are? It was really a profound thing to think about if ones biological parents raised an adopted child vs is the adopted parents really had them would they like the same things or be totally different people? I also loved the Sabina character because she was willing to go for what she wanted and she was such a strong woman.
Now for Sabina's adoptive parents I have never wanted to slap two people so badly my entire life. They were both self righteous jerks. They may have felt what they did was right and in the end explained away their behavior, I will not get into because of spoilers, but no one keeps a secret from their child for almost forty years and does other unspeakably mean things and then just claim they had a good reason.
This book was an excellent emotional read and I highly recommend it and give it five out of five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment